Hypnotherapy can be an effective healing method for coping with stress and anxiety. In particular, hypnosis can reduce stress and anxiety before a medical procedure, such as a breast biopsy.
Hypnosis has been studied for other conditions, including:
- Pain control.Hypnosis may help with pain due to burns, cancer, childbirth, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, temporomandibular joint problems, dental procedures and headaches.
- Hot flashes.Hypnosis may relieve symptoms of hot flashes associated with menopause.
- Behavior change.Hypnosis has been used with some success in the treatment of insomnia, bed-wetting, smoking, and overeating.
- Cancer treatment side effects.Hypnosis has been used to ease side effects related to chemotherapy or radiation treatment.
- Mental health conditions.Hypnosis may help treat symptoms of anxiety, phobias and post-traumatic stress.
What to Expect
Your hypnotherapist will explain the process of hypnosis and go over your treatment goals. The practitioner typically speaks in a gentle, soothing tone and describe images that create a sense of relaxation, security, calmness and well-being.
While in an hypnotic state, the hypnotherapist will deliver suggestions for you to achieve your goals, like reducing pain, increasing health, or eliminating tobacco cravings. He/She may also help you visualize vivid, creative imagery of yourself accomplishing your goals.